So Progress has been slow. I’ve been working, and I’ve been sick – so time hasn’t exactly been on my side. Since my last blog post, we’ve been spending the time trying to figure out a decent implementation of a physics paper on Viscoelastic fluid simulation – however were unable to gain satisfactory results. So we decided the other day to port across our old code into XNA and see how it held up. Quite well actually – initial implementation was a complete ( and relatively easy ) success.
From here we implemented our spatial grid, and gained a drastic improvement in the processing time and quality.
There are plenty of other improvements we can make as well, as well as a (hopefully) massive improvement in the spatial grid calculations which we’ll be implementing during the week. We’re going to modify the springs so they have both repulsive and attractive properties – as well as add some viscosity settings to allow the liquid to behave less jelly-like. Essentially we’re going to try and add elements from that physics paper into a system we already know works, and works relatively well ( 1500 particles is the max we’ve managed to achieve with no loss of FPS – though I believe in the second video I took it does start to slow before the end ).
I’m also planning on buying a 2nd monitor this week, which should allow me to increase my productivity a little.
As long as I don’t get any more sick, the plan for this week is as follows :
– Improve current Blob Code
– Work on Collisions with Solid objects
– Attempt a ‘Marching Squares’ Algorithm for edge detection
– Implement Flash IK Prototype for XNA Testing
So it’s a busy week of programming, with (Hopefully) some lovely visual results.
I’ll be uploading videos to vimeo throughout the week, and any major updates I will post here to the blog.